Tuesday, October 30, 2012

2.) Dvorak - Romance for Violin and Orchestra, op. 11


Continuing my daily commentary on this Sunday's concert ("Eastern European
Folk Fest"), here are a few thoughts on the second work on the program.


 

You will see that Sunday's concert is predominantly filled with fast,
robust, energetic and extroverted music; I just returned from a full
rehearsal, and believe me, it's quite a workout for both me and the orchestra.

Incidentally, when we arrived at Maple School for our rehearsal tonight (Oct 29),
we found that we had been moved into one of their two GYMS, due to a
scheduling conflict. The temperature in the gym was quite chilly, which I
loved (since I work very hard in rehearsal), and the sound was....well...
like a gym: boomy. But the orchestra, as always, really dug in and overcame
the difficult acoustics; the rehearsal was a very good one.

Anyway, there are TWO soft, slow, lyrical works on the program, to provide
contrast. The first is Dvorak's lovely, wistful Romance, written early in his
career when he was just starting to overcome his Wagner-fixation (a common
condition with composers of the day). Here, Dvorak's sweet, earthy CZECH
voice clearly begins to emerge.

Finding the right artist to play the solo violin part in this work is a bit of a
challenge, since it requires the utmost in lyrical purity of sound and the
ability to caress and nuance each phrase. I had the pleasure of hearing
a number of extremely talented young violinists last January in auditions
at the Music Institute of Chicago's Winnetka campus. In searching for
a young soloist, I asked Jim Setapen of the Institute to send me the
notes I had taken down while listening to the auditions. Here is what
I wrote for violinist Claire Bourg, who played the Khachaturian Concerto:

Everything is there in her playing; I'd call it "total command" of music
and instrument. Sense of style and character is excellent. Folk-like
lilt of 2nd theme floats and sings; contrast and "SHAPE" in her playing
is extraordinary......"

And I continued to gush on....

Needless to say, this was the PERFECT choice for the Dvorak Romance,
as you will hear on Sunday. (FYI-- I will meet with Claire to rehearse
with piano this Thursday, Nov 1st; she will then join us with the NSO
that evening).

Please check Claire Bourg's bio on our website; just click on her pic.
She is obviously one talented young lady.

Thanks for reading.

larry

No comments:

Post a Comment